Friday 11 August 2017

A Day Out At Dungeness And An Important Parenting Lesson

As a parent, I’m not particularly guided by any method or fad in parenting my two – I largely go with the ‘surviving any which way we can’ method, also known as the ‘muddling through’ method.  There are a few things though that I try my best to stick to, and one of those things is not letting my fear of something stop the kids from doing stuff; in short, I try my very hardest to be brave in front of the kids about stuff that scares the bejesus out of me.  One of my favourite things about kids is that they are fearless.  I don’t want to take that away from them (although if Z could start showing an awareness of CARS and ROADS, and that these two things could KILL HIM, that would be swell).

Today we went to Dungeness.  I’ve been before and I love it.  It’s weird but that’s part of its charm. We drove to New Romney and the kids were a pair of unremitting shit bags the entire way there.  The lowest point was when I had to try and wrestle Z’s beaker out of his hand, whilst driving down the M20, because he was alternately pouring his water onto the back seat, and then pouring it on me.  Oh, and also when they had a fight over D’s cardigan which led to me momentarily having the cardigan over my face.  This mama shouted A Lot about that.

Having narrowly survived the car journey there, we bought our tickets and jumped onto the train.  Last time we went on the train it was shitting awful, not least because they were terrified of it.  This time they loved it and we happily pootled along the Kentish coast, gleefully shouting ‘horse!’, ‘boat!’ and ‘I have a wedgie mummy!’ (Daisy – poor girl always has a wedgie.) We arrived in Dungeness and straightaway they clocked the lighthouse.  They both love lighthouses (although I have no idea where that’s come from) and were obviously desperate to go up it.  I was less keen, because I am shitting terrified of heights.  Not good with them at all.

The Bloody Lighthouse.  We made it up to just past the second window!!


I managed to delay the lighthouse climbing awhile, by offering up some picnic/beach/stone throwing action, but the time came when we could beach no more (largely because it was only a matter of time before one of them took out a passer-by with their wildly unpredictable stone throwing) and we headed back in the direction of the lighthouse.

‘Please mummy!’ they begged, all the way up  the boardwalk. ‘Please can we go up the lighthouse? I just love lighthouses in the whole world.’ Eventually I agreed that if the people inside the lighthouse said it was suitable for them, then we could go up.

Manning the lighthouse were two very lovely women.  I hopefully asked if D&Z were too little to go up and they cheerfully assured me that they would be absolutely fine, it wasn’t a problem for them to go up.  I girded my loins, told myself I was being a good mummy by hiding my fear, issued the children with several Very Stern Warnings about doing what mummy says and we started our ascent.

Before I describe what happened next, I need to try and paint for you the lighthouse.  It is huge, much bigger than you’d imagine. The steps up it curve around the inside of the wall and the only thing stopping you from plunging to your death are some very flimsy* balustrades. Finally, the lighthouse gets narrower obviously as you go up which makes you feel like the stairs above are closing in on you.  In short, for a woman who gets vertigo on department store escalators, it probably wasn’t the best idea to attempt to go up it.

We made it up to the first landing unscathed.  My heart was pounding and the palms of my hands were sweating but it was fine.  I could totally do this.  I stepped aside to let a man go past (thank Christ – what happens next was bad enough, but at least there were no spectators) and we continued our ascent.  Z was LOVING it and was scampering off ahead; D was slightly more cautious but still enjoying herself.  I was trying to ignore the fact that I could see down – all the way down to the floor far far below – when I was just hit by paralysing panic.  It was too high and I was too fucking scared and I could not do it.  I crouched down on a step and put my hands over my head, much like you would if rubble was falling on you (not really sure why I did that. I am sure that it made me look completely fucking barking.)

‘Daisy,’ I whimpered. ‘Mummy is very scared and does not like heights.  We need to go back down.’

‘OK Mummy,’ said Daisy, being obedient for the first time since we’d left the house and at exactly the right time.  She turned around and started going down. 

‘Dais, just wait,’ I wailed. ‘We have to get Zach to come too.’ I turned to Zach, who was about five steps ahead of me.  ‘Come on Zach, let’s go,’ I whispered. Not sure why I was whispering either.  Panic does funny things to you!

‘No mummy!’ replied my boy, ever so fucking cheerfully. ‘I go all the way to the top.’
‘Zacchy, please baby.  Mummy is very scared and we need to climb down.’ Zach ignored me and carried on climbing up. Not down, up. 

‘ZACH!’ I shrieked hysterically. ‘WE NEED TO CLIMB DOWN NOW!’ The hysteria just spurred him on.  I know my boy and I know how, once he’s set his mind to something, he is doing it.

What the actual fuckety fuck was I going to do? I could not climb any higher. More than that though, I really, really could not let my three year old son climb without me.  Very slowly, I straightened up out of my rubble-falling-foetal-position.  I turned so I was facing the wall, not the sheer drop just behind me and edged up two more steps.

‘Zach mate, please.  Mummy really needs you to be a good boy right now.’

‘But mummy!’ he bleated. ‘I want to go all the way to the top!’ I knew at this point that bargaining was futile.  I took a deep breath, lunged forward and grabbed his foot.  I dragged him down the steps towards me and grabbed his hand.  He shrieked loudly and embarrassingly, but I at least had hold of him.  I instructed Daisy to begin climbing back down, I tucked my pretty pissed off son under my arm and began my own descent, half hunched over because for some reason it is less scary than if you’re properly stood up. 
We finally made it back down to the entrance and one of the two lovely women greeted us joyfully.

‘Oh well done!’ she said to D&Z. ‘You made it back! Did you enjoy it up at the top?’

‘We didn’t quite make it to the top,’ I mumbled.

‘Oh I’m so sorry!’ said the lovely woman. ‘I really thought they’d be fine with it.’

‘Oh don’t worry, they got to see the inside of the lighthouse and that’s made them happy,’ I replied, swiftly glossing over the fact that the three year olds weren’t scared one iota, it was the 36 year old who was shitting her pants.

So, the moral of this sad tale is that while it is a good idea to not pass your fear of things on to your children, it is not a good idea to try and ignore a very real fear you have and do something with them that you are actually not able to do.  That will just end up with you looking like a twat.


*Probably not flimsy at all. They just weren’t as solid as I’d have liked.
I bet Mrs Richards never had a panic attack going up the stairs!

No comments:

Post a Comment