Friday 10 March 2017

Lessons From My Dad

Today would have been my Dad’s 67th birthday.  Dad died nearly two years ago and I miss him every day. This blog is for him.  He wasn’t a perfect parent (so, just like everyone else then) but he was my Dad and he taught me shit about being a parent.  Here’s what he taught me:

1.  It’s fine to swear in front of your kids.  Dad used to swear a lot.  One of his favourite childhood stories was of him and his brothers and sisters running around a tree when their mum and dad were out shouting “Shit-bum-bugger-arseholes!” When Dais did her infamous ‘Fuck’s sake’, part of me panicked.  The other part was like ‘It’s fine, Dad used to swear in front of us all the time, he just used to tell us we weren’t allowed to say those words.’  Which we didn’t.  In front of him.  Probably, my two year old daughter is lying upstairs now, muttering ‘Fuck’s sake’.  That’s fine.  I can’t hear her.    

2.  Make your kids believe they can do anything.  At aged 17 I, having never been anywhere abroad by myself, hatched a plan with a mate to go travelling around the world after we finished our A’ levels.  I planned us a route – we were going EVERYWHERE! Argentina, Jamaica, South Africa, New Zealand, Fiji, Papua New Guinea! The plan never came to fruition for various reasons (I eventually ended up inter-railing around Europe and Jesus, I barely survived that!) but at no point did my Dad try and stop me or tell me I was foolish for planning to see literally the whole world (some of it in the grips of guerrilla warfare!) in just six months.  I’m hoping that had I attempted to go to Papua New Guinea, he would have said something.  The point is, he didn’t piss on my parade when he didn’t need to.

3.  Make your kids stand on their own two feet.  I have had a job since I was 14*.  Aged 14, my Dad got me a job at a village pub, waiting tables.  I was a really, really shit waitress.  (Mainly because I was terrified the whole time!) But it taught me to be a bit more confident.  It took me out of my safe little bubble of school and family.  It taught me that I could do shit that made me nervous.  Most importantly though, it gave me cash to buy Just Seventeen, lip gloss and Diamond White**.

4. Be generous.  Dad was so generous, in many ways, but mainly with his hospitality.  He loved a good party and would always provide booze and food aplenty, whatever the occasion.  When he died, some of the loveliest comments my friends made were about his generosity – how he cooked them a great bacon sandwich whenever they stayed over or about how he splashed the wine around readily. I’m nowhere near as gregarious as my Dad was but I hope, when they’re older, D&Z  will be as happy bringing their friends home as I was. 

5.  Just care.  Care in any way you can.  Dad was not an affectionate man.  He rarely hugged me, and he often struggled to say what he wanted to, if what he wanted to say was ‘soppy’ or ‘emotional’.  But he loved me, and I knew it.  I knew it because he worked hard for me when I was growing up, so I could have the things that other kids had.  I knew it because he wanted to send me to the best school he could.  I knew it because, when I told him I was up the duff, with twins, by some guy he’d never met, he got pissed and then cried and said how actually we should celebrate that two new babies were coming into the world and that could only ever be a great thing and that was what mattered. 

My Dad was my partner in crime.  He was a fellow lover of spreadsheets, wine, fags and swearing.  I miss him. 

*Just to be clear, the job was part time. I also attended school.  I just re-read that sentence and it sounded a bit like I was forced to leave school to work at the pub.  Not the case!


**In the early 90s, Diamond White was a very fashionable drink.  Very Fashionable.  If you were 14.  

No comments:

Post a Comment