Thursday 13 April 2017

You Are Nearly Three And This Is What I See

On Sunday, Daisy and Zachary will turn three.  I cannot believe that three whole years have passed since they had an in-utero punch up that resulted in their arrival into the world, two months early.  This post is for them.



Daisy, you are nearly three and this is what I see:  I see a little girl who has fire in her very core, who is passionate and unwavering and strong. You are fearless (except when there is any kind of insect and/or cow around, and then you shriek hysterically and, in my opinion, completely unnecessarily), you are oh so funny and you are absolutely marching to your own tune.   You do things your way and your way alone.  Sometimes, now, when your way is wearing your pants over your trousers, or eating an entire meal with your knife only, or refusing to put your little paw in mine, it’s a bit hard and I sigh and momentarily wish you were more biddable, more pliant, easier to cajole.  But those wishes aren’t anything more than tiny sparks that flare up and then die out.  I’m immeasurably proud of how individual you are, and how you know exactly what you want and I know that in years to come, you will make me even more proud with your determination, decisiveness and originality.  You might be a twin, my love, but you are a one off.  Lastly, but by no means least, you are top to toe brimming full of love, or as you call it ‘luff’.  I luff how luffing you are and I will never, ever tire of you flinging your long gangly arms round my neck and passionately declaring with every fibre of your being ‘I really really luff you Mama!’ Daisy, you are nearly three, and this is what I see: a wonderful woman in the making.  I think you might end up ruling the world, but if you don’t, you’ll certainly change it for the better (you already have just by being here).  You are marvellous.

Zachary, you are nearly three and this is what I see: I see a little boy who has joyfulness running through his veins, who is a joker but also steady and constant and reliable.  You are wise beyond your years (not always, obviously – especially not when you’re running round with two pairs of pants on your head but none on your arse), you are kind and you are helpful beyond measure.  You approach the world and everything it has to offer with the biggest smile and buckets full of enthusiasm.  You, too, know your own mind, but you show it in a really different way.  If I tell you not to do something, you beam at me with those enormous blue eyes, say ‘OK Mama,’ then do it anyway.  You are incapable of being in a sulk or holding a grudge because you are just so desperate to have fun. Your empathy amazes me and makes me so proud.  I will never forget the time when NyNy was crying because she was sad YeYe was poorly and I didn’t realise.  What alerted me to her sadness was that you bum shuffled over to her and rested your little blond bombshell head on her knee. You might be a twin, my darling, but you are a one off too.  Your love is calmer, less easily doled out, but just as deep and genuine as Daisy’s.  When I get a kiss from you, I feel like the luckiest being on the planet.  Zachary, you are nearly three, and this is what I see: a magnificent man in the making.  I think you will look after the world, keep it organised and make sure everyone is happy (you do all these things to my world already).  You are tremendous.


My darling twins, you are nearly three, and this is what I see: scraped knees and splinters in hands, dinners not eaten and dinners gobbled up, sleepless nights and early mornings, poorly tummies and raging fevers, snuggly cuddles and snotty kisses, uncontrollable laughter and drying big fat tears, fighting and making up, shouting and saying sorry, trying and giving up, trying and not giving up, playing and watching telly, going to the park and to the trampoline place and soft play and the farm and the library and the swimming pool…and weaving its way in amongst all of this, holding it all together and keeping us all going when times are tough, love.  My darling twins, you are nearly three, and this is what I see: love.   

No comments:

Post a Comment