Thursday 9 February 2017

The Alternative Guide To Surviving Sickmageddon With A Toddler (Or Two)

I had a spectacular welcome home last night after I got in from work, when Daisy projectile vommed all over the place within minutes of me walking through the door.  Both Daisy and Zachary have been at home poorly today, so for what it’s worth, here’s my advice for surviving sickmageddon.   

1.  Stock up.  Not on boring stuff, like milk and nappies.  By all means, check you’ve got the essentials that the kids need, but I’m talking about you. You, the person who’s about to spend a day dealing with actual live sick and poo from another being.   You need your survival kit.  Luckily for me, my mum’s been staying.  Before going home, she popped out for me.  She got me Maltesers, Haribo and wine.  The Haribo and Maltesers have kept me going today and the wine will soon be poured! It is largely painfully dull looking after two sick kids by yourself (interspersed with odd moments of upchuck based high drama), and even worse if you know that you won’t see anyone at the end of the day.  You need to make sure there’s a reward of some description (whatever your poison may be) for surviving the day!

2.  If you do have to go out with the kids, be prepared.  I learnt this before I was a parent, when my sister and her twins all had a particularly vicious sickness bug while her husband was away.  She’d been living the nightmare of vomming and trying to look after the kids at the same time, so I decided to take the twins out for some fresh air, and to give her a break. They were only about 18 months old, so I popped them in the double buggy and off we went for a nice bracing walk.  So far, so good.  About 15 mins into the walk, one of the twins vommed everywhere: all down herself and all over the buggy – I’m pretty sure her twin sister copped some too.  It was at this point that I realised I had nothing with me, except a half full bottle of water. It is a measure of how much I love my nieces that I did what is described next:  I had to use my bare hands to scoop fresh, warm sick off the poor child and out of the buggy, then rinse her, myself and the buggy down with the tiny amount of water I had. Turns out half a bottle of water is no match for the contents of my niece’s stomach.  (NB what made this even more annoying was that a woman with a baby in a buggy walked past me whilst Operation Clean Up With No Suitable Equipment was going on…and didn’t stop to offer help! I get that maybe she didn’t want her baby to go near the sick covered child, but she could have lobbed a couple of wipes my way!) So, if you have to take them out, take wipes and plastic bags.

3.  Once back at home, two things are your friend: towels and acceptance.  Towels to try and limit the damage from a completely bewildered and uncoordinated person who is spewing the contents of their stomach in all directions, and acceptance that some things will inevitably get showered in the aforementioned sick.  Remember, they’re only things, and baking soda is great at getting the smell of sick out. Last night, before they went to bed, but after Daisy had projectile vommed on the sofa (wipe clean), the living room carpet (not wipe clean) and my mum (sort of wipe clean), I laid towels on the floor by their bed.  It’s a whole lot easier to deal with sick on a towel than it is to deal with sick on the carpet at two o’ clock in the morning. 

4.  Understand that you are going to spend a lot of time pinned to the sofa, unable to move, and prepare for this.  Zachary has clung to me all day today, tragically mewling ‘Mummmmmmmy’ if I’ve moved so much as a millimetre away from him. As a bare minimum you need to have the remote controls, your phone, a drink and some snacks to hand.  Don’t drink too much though – trying to get up to go to the loo will likely cause more tragic wailing, and possibly a punch up (even with poorly twins a punch up is always a possibility), so it’s easier just to minimize the loo visits.  The added bonus of this is that it’s valuable exercise for those poor post pregnancy pelvic floors.

5.  Lastly – but most importantly – under no circumstances should you ever put two children who’ve been throwing up, or who have diarrhoea, in the same bath at the same time.  Again, I have learnt this through bitter experience.  Nothing finishes a day off quite so hysterically as a toddler doing a liquid sh*t in a bath she’s sharing with her brother.  It also takes the shine off having a nice relaxing bath yourself (no matter how much you clean it), when you lie back and recall that only hours earlier your daughter emptied her toxic bowels into the vessel you are currently luxuriating in. 



No comments:

Post a Comment